↩ Accueil

Vue lecture

Apple May Leave iPad Pro Without Major Upgrades for Years

Apple's iPad Pro is likely to be left for years without a major update, according to a reliable leaker.


The Weibo-based leaker, known as "Instant Digital," says that the ‌iPad Pro‌ will not have a major update for a prolonged period of time. The cost of the OLED panel now used in the device is unlikely to come down in price and the last major redesign apparently did not significantly stimulate sales growth.

While Apple may maintain a regular iteration cycle with the device, it apparently has no intention of pursuing significant upgrades such as ultra-slim borders around the display, the likes of which are available on rival high-end tablets.

In 2024, Apple introduced the first major redesign of the device since 2018. Apple added the M5 chip to it in October 2025, along with some minor connectivity upgrades.

The ‌iPad Pro‌ is likely to gain the M6 chip and iPhone 17 Pro-style vapor chamber cooling at some point toward the end of 2026 or in 2027, but there have been no other rumors about the future of the product line.
Related Roundup: iPad Pro
Buyer's Guide: iPad Pro (Buy Now)

This article, "Apple May Leave iPad Pro Without Major Upgrades for Years" first appeared on MacRumors.com

Discuss this article in our forums

  •  

Apple Announces Special Event in New York, London, and Shanghai on March 4

Apple today announced a "special Apple Experience" in New York, London, and Shanghai, taking place on March 4, 2026 at 9:00am ET.



Apple invited select members of the media to the event in three major cities around the world. It is simply described as a "special Apple Experience," and there is no further information about what it may entail. The invitation features a 3D Apple logo design composed of yellow, green, and blue discs.

It is notable that Apple is specifically using the word "experience," rather than "event." Unlike a full live-streamed event from Apple Park, the March 4 event in other cities is likely to be smaller in scale.



The announcement of several new Apple products is believed to be imminent, including the iPhone 17e, MacBook Pro with M5 Pro and M5 Max chips, eighth-generation, iPad Air, 12th-generation iPad, and more. A refreshed Studio Display and an all-new low-cost MacBook with the A18 chip are also possibilities, along with a new Apple TV and HomePod mini.

This "Apple Experience" could involve Apple's announcement of some of these products and provide an opportunity for the media to get hands-on with the new devices around the world.

The Apple Experience commences at 9:00am ET on March 4, 2026.
This article, "Apple Announces Special Event in New York, London, and Shanghai on March 4" first appeared on MacRumors.com

Discuss this article in our forums

  •  

Gurman: iPhone 18 Pro Could Be Underwhelming

Apple's upcoming iPhone 18 Pro and ‌iPhone 18‌ Pro Max models "won't be a big update," according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.


In the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said that the ‌iPhone 18‌ Pro models will "represent minor tweaks from last year's iPhone 17 Pro and 17 Pro Max." He compared the upgrade to Apple's past practice of appending the letter "S" to its more minor generational iPhone releases.

There will still apparently be several important internal changes, such as a new camera system with a variable aperture, the A20 chip, and the custom C2 modem. Nevertheless, the new Pro models likely won't be "the star of Apple's ‌iPhone‌ launch this fall," with the company's first foldable claiming the spotlight instead.

Related Roundup: iPhone 18
Related Forum: iPhone

This article, "Gurman: iPhone 18 Pro Could Be Underwhelming" first appeared on MacRumors.com

Discuss this article in our forums

  •  

The MacRumors Show: Revamped Siri Delayed Again?

We discuss the upcoming iPhone 17e and iPad models, as well as Apple's apparent issues finalizing the revamped version of Siri, on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show.


The announcement of the ‌iPhone‌ 17e is said to be "imminent," with stock of the iPhone 16e now dwindling. The new device is rumored to come with four main new features, including the A19 chip from the iPhone 17, MagSafe connectivity, the C1X cellular modem, and the N1 chip for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Thread connectivity.

New iPads are also on the horizon for the near future. The eighth-generation iPad Air is expected to move to the M4 chip, while the 12th-generation ‌iPad‌ is expected to jump a chip generation up to the A18, which will also enable Apple Intelligence support for the first time on the device.

This week's biggest story was the news that Apple has again "run into snags" testing the personalized, smarter version of ‌Siri‌ originally planned for iOS 26.4. Due to the issues, the upcoming ‌Siri‌ features will likely be partially delayed and spread across several upcoming iOS releases. Apple could postpone some or all of the new ‌Siri‌ features until iOS 26.5, an update planned for May, and iOS 27, which will launch this September.

Apple announced a significantly upgraded version of ‌Siri‌ powered by ‌Apple Intelligence‌ at its 2024 Worldwide Developers Conference, and it was originally supposed to be part of iOS 18. The following spring, Apple announced that the new ‌Siri‌ would take longer than expected, with the functionality delayed for a year.

Since then, Apple has ostensibly been targeting iOS 26.4, which the company will begin beta testing later this month, but there have apparently been unforeseen problems: ‌Siri‌ sometimes doesn't properly process queries and can take too long to respond to requests.

Apple engineers have been told to use iOS 26.5 for further internal testing, suggesting the new ‌Siri‌ features will be delayed until that update. Employees that are testing iOS 26.5 say the update includes all of the features Apple promised, including personalization, onscreen awareness, and the ability for ‌Siri‌ to do more in and between apps, but not all of the features are working reliably and there are problems with accuracy.

‌Siri‌ also apparently sometimes falls back on using ChatGPT for information instead of relying on the Gemini-powered technology that Apple has partnered with Google to use, even when the new version of ‌Siri‌ is capable of handling a user's request.

Apple also planned to include features that haven't yet been announced, such as options to generate images with Image Playground or search the web. Image generation and web search were tested as part of iOS 26.4, and it's possible they will still be included in the update, so Apple might still be able to release some of the new ‌Siri‌ functionality. Bloomberg says the situation is "fluid," though, so Apple's plans could change, and executives are reluctant to further delay the ‌Siri‌ functionality beyond spring 2026.

There are still major changes planned for ‌Siri‌ as part of iOS 27, with Apple aiming to add chatbot functionality to better compete with the likes of like Gemini and ChatGPT. This new version of ‌Siri‌ will also reportedly have deeper integration with apps and Apple's operating systems.

The MacRumors Show has its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips.



You can also listen to ‌The MacRumors Show‌ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or other podcast apps. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your player.



If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up to hear our discussion about all of the new Macs Apple is expected to release this year, starting with the M5 Pro and M5 Max MacBook Pro.

Subscribe to ‌The MacRumors Show‌ for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Kayci Lacob, Kevin Nether, John Gruber, Mark Gurman, Jon Prosser, Luke Miani, Matthew Cassinelli, Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Sam Kohl, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

‌The MacRumors Show‌ is on X @MacRumorsShow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast. You can also email us at podcast@macrumors.com or head over to The MacRumors Show forum thread. Remember to rate and review the podcast, and let us know what subjects and guests you would like to see in the future.
This article, "The MacRumors Show: Revamped Siri Delayed Again?" first appeared on MacRumors.com

Discuss this article in our forums

  •  

Apple Now Testing Flip-Style Foldable iPhone

Apple is testing a different kind of foldable iPhone with a flip-style design, according to a known leaker based in Asia.


Citing supposedly verifiable supply chain information, the Weibo user known as "Fixed Focus Digital" says that Apple has tested a flip-style foldable ‌iPhone‌. Such a device would compete with devices such as Samsung's Galaxy Z Flip 7 and the modern-day Motorola Razr.

The rumored flip-device comes in addition to the wide foldable ‌iPhone‌ that is expected to launch later this year. Whether the flip-style foldable ‌iPhone‌ will reach mass production is apparently yet to be decided.

Earlier this month, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that Apple is "exploring" the idea of a foldable ‌iPhone‌ with a "square, clamshell-style" design.

The clamshell ‌iPhone‌ would be released at some point after Apple's first foldable iPhone, which is expected to open up like a book, similar to Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold 7. This design will provide users with a large inner display for watching videos and gaming, and there will likely be multitasking functionality. A clamshell ‌iPhone‌, on the other hand, would be more about portability and pocketability.

Other rumors suggest that Apple's first foldable ‌iPhone‌ will feature a 7.8-inch crease-free inner display, a 5.5-inch cover display, Touch ID, two rear cameras, the A20 chip, and the "C2" modem. It is expected to launch alongside the iPhone 18 Pro and ‌iPhone 18‌ Pro Max in the fall.
This article, "Apple Now Testing Flip-Style Foldable iPhone" first appeared on MacRumors.com

Discuss this article in our forums

  •  

Apple Takes Full Control of 'Severance' in Surprise Deal

Apple has fully acquired the rights to its hit Apple TV series "Severance," bringing future seasons and content in-house under Apple Studios, Deadline reports.


Apple is said to have acquired the intellectual property and all rights to Severance from Fifth Season in a deal valued at just under $70 million. Apple previously licensed "Severance" from Fifth Season. More than six years after ‌Apple TV‌ launched, Apple Studios now produces roughly half of the platform's slate.

The move transitions the series from an externally produced show to a fully in-house Apple Studios production, with Fifth Season remaining attached as an executive producer going forward. The change mirrors Apple's earlier move to bring the sci-fi series "Silo" under Apple Studios after its first season.

The acquisition follows a difficult production cycle for the show's second season, which reportedly cost as much as $20 million per episode. Season two faced prolonged production delays caused by COVID-19, Hollywood labor strikes, and script changes that led to reshoots and scrapped sets. Borrowing costs rose significantly during the extended production window, increasing financial pressure on Fifth Season as the studio waited for New York tax credits and funding reimbursements.

According to the report, Fifth Season asked Apple for financial advances and considered moving production to Canada for faster and larger tax rebates. Apple executives ultimately concluded that owning the series would allow the company to better absorb long production timelines and keep filming in New York, where the show has an established footprint.

Apple apparently now plans to position Severance as a long-term flagship franchise. The show has already been renewed for a third season, and a fourth season is reportedly considered a certainty. Deadline says Apple expects the series to run for at least four seasons, though creator Dan Erickson and executive producer Ben Stiller are open to expanding the franchise with prequels, spinoffs, and international adaptations.

Production on the third season is tentatively expected to begin this summer, though the start date may slip slightly as scripts are finalized. Six scripts have reportedly been completed, with additional episodes still in development. Apple and the creative team aim to begin filming only after all scripts are finished to avoid the costly shutdowns and reshoots that affected season two.

Season two of Severance became ‌Apple TV‌'s most-watched series at the time of release and received 27 Emmy nominations in 2025, winning eight awards.
This article, "Apple Takes Full Control of 'Severance' in Surprise Deal" first appeared on MacRumors.com

Discuss this article in our forums

  •  
❌